Monday, October 22, 2012

CMW Poem Series: My Mountain

For as long as I can remember, I have always had a mountain in my life. In Ammon, Idaho, it was Taylor Mountain. When we moved to Boise, Idaho, it was stack rock and Mount McGowan at Stanley Lake. Then, when I was twelve years old, we hiked to Boulder Lake near McCall, Idaho, for the first time. During the next few years we backpacked and camped at Boulder Lake quite often. I loved to climb the rocky mound on the north side of the dam and sit at the top with Boulder Lake sparkling in the sun behind me, Boulder Meadows Reservoir winking below me, and far out in the valley I could see Cascade Reservoir. For many, many years, that was MY mountain.
When it came time to plant this letterbox, my mountain had once again changed. I now live in eastern Idaho, and The Grand Teton has been my mountain. In fact, it was the inspiration for this poem/song. But, I went back to Boulder Lake to plant this box because it was the first mountain that I wrote stories around.


Clues to the Letterbox:

From Highway 55 just south of McCall, Idaho, turn on Elo Road and follow it to Boulder Lake Road. Turn left on Boulder Lake Road and drive 4 to 5 miles to the Louie Lake and Boulder Lake Trailhead. When you reach the trailhead, the road will make a T. To the right is the Louie Lake Trail, to the left is the Boulder Lake Trail. The Boulder Lake trail starts to the left of the Boulder Meadows Reservoir dam. Follow the trail to Boulder Lake. When you reach the dam at Boulder Lake, turn left and follow it until it ends.

At the Northwest edge of the dam is a huge round boulder (see photo to right). Stand near this boulder and face north, looking up the rocky ridge. Follow the ridge up--there is a distinct white crack in the rock that you can use as a guide. Go to the stunted tree near the top of the ridge before it dips down (see photo to left). Stand on the east side of this tree and face south. Take 10 paces across the rock. At your feet should be a bush and some broken boulders. Take two steps slightly sideways so that you are standing on the 8 foot long boulder. Five small steps will put you above a patch of dirt with a medium sized boulder on the west. Look under this boulder, around a small corner and behind some SPOR to find "My Mountain". Crazy Mountain Woman's day pack is sitting on the boulder next to the hiding place and north of the little patch of dirt.

Enjoy your hike. I had originally planned to plant this box on September 1, 2012. Crazy Mountain Woman, Music Chick, Quilt Lady2, and I were going to find the Louie Lake Series, continue across a 2 mile trail to Boulder Lake, plant this box, then hike back down the Boulder Lake trail. We missed the short, 2 mile trail, and ended up taking a five mile trail--extending our hike by 4 miles when you include hiking from the back of Boulder Lake to the dam. We were tired and eager to get to the car by the time we reached the dam, so instead of climbing the mound to plant the box, we just hiked back down to the car. If you like long hikes, this one was exceptionally beautiful. Just be prepared with plenty of water. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment