Monday, October 22, 2012

CMW Poem Series: Lady Remembered

This letterbox is dedicated to my second horse, Lady. She was a sorrel Morgan mare that I owned for twelve years. Not long after I bought her, my sister and I went horse camping at Pole Bridge Campground in Island Park, Idaho. We rode from the campground down the old railroad bed to Mesa Falls on our first day there (about 26 miles round trip). This was before the many improvements at Upper Mesa Falls, and we were able to ride down an old jeep trail to the top of the Lower Falls. It was a day that will be forever imprinted in my heart.
Years later I moved to Island Park. I rented pasture in the summer so that the horses could be over here with me. Just before the 4th of July on my third summer in Island Park, Lady was struck by lightning and killed. I wrote the following poem to keep her memory alive.

Lady in the pasture in Island Park



Clues to the Letterbox:

From the Mesa Falls Scenic Highway, turn as if going to Upper Mesa Falls. Before the fee entrance sign, turn left into a dirt parking area with a sign that says "Day Use Parking Lot". This is a left turn almost immediately following your turn to Upper Mesa Falls. Park here. Walk along the well defined path that is on the left as you pulled into the parking lot. Look for a large snag on your right at the edge of the canyon. Make your way to the snag. On the east side of the snag, at the base, you will find a crevice in the rocks that houses my favorite animal.


No comments:

Post a Comment